Moana on her way to new life with other camels - updated with photo at new home

Moana, the camel who has been an informal roadside attraction on Roche Harbor for the past decade, left San Juan Island on an afternoon ferry Wednesday, February 7, 2018. She's headed to a new life in Tacoma where she will be with six other camels.

Moana (in rear of photo) is at her new home at the indoor petting zoo's farm. The photo was posted on its Facebook page.

Her new home is with a business in Tacoma that runs an indoor petting zoo, camel rides at Point Defiance Zoo and camel encounters. Read more about them at IndoorPettingZoo.com. She may also spend time at Point Defiance Zoo in North Tacoma. Through its Camel Encounters, the business rents camels for rides, carrot feeding, petting zoo, photo shoots, film, live nativity, grand openings, special events from huge corporate events to small events.

Photo from indoorpettingzoo.com

Donny Miller who transported Mona said the first order of business once she is moved in is for her to learn her manners. She's been fed treats for the past 10 years from people who happened by as she grazed in a field and has forgotten how to be a camel. It shouldn't take long for her to get back to being a camel, he said.

"Camels are brilliant," Miller said. "She's a good camel."

Moana waits in a trailer in the ferry line. Matt Pranger photo

Miller says they'll post photos or a video of Mona with the other camels on their Facebook page on Thursday.

12 comments

• Nuke The Whales Saturday, 10 February 2018 16:29 Comment Link

You guys need to stop freaking out. Mona will be fine. She doesn't belong to you. There's no animal cruelty going on here. Stop stirring the pot. Go to FH Rant & Rave and do your thing you big babies.

• Tucker Friday, 09 February 2018 19:26 Comment Link

Horrific, no better than going to a Circus, who allowed such a tragedy to happen?

• Lina Downes Thursday, 08 February 2018 15:46 Comment Link

There is a brilliant animal sanctuary here on the island Animal Haven run but Julie Duke that probably would have taken Mona. This is just wrong!

• Marie Thursday, 08 February 2018 15:22 Comment Link

What does he mean by saying learning
    Her manners. This is so upsetting.
    I firmly hope animal activist will be notified
    To check on Mona and the other animals.
    Such a statement is worrisome!

• Michelle Thursday, 08 February 2018 10:09 Comment Link

Debbie Doolittle' s is a horrible place!! Poor Mona and shame on her previous owner for sending her there.

• Janet Wright Thursday, 08 February 2018 05:34 Comment Link

What happened to her partner--Lisa? How sad that no one knew what was going to happen to her. Will anyone be keeping track of her. Sad for us and sad for Mona. she will be missed

• bwg Wednesday, 07 February 2018 21:45 Comment Link

I drive by Mona every morning and every evening to and from work. I look for her and her little white llama friend and I say hello aloud.
    This morning when I did not see her I wondered where she might be. Now I know.
    I am worried for her well-being. Debbie Doolittle Petting Zoo does not sound good for her. I hate seeing her head sticking out of that truck. Mona I will miss you!

• shayne weston Wednesday, 07 February 2018 20:27 Comment Link

Now the going to make her carry people . now ? Make her pay her way teach her tricks . Jeezus steve thats annoying

• D.E. Wednesday, 07 February 2018 20:18 Comment Link

Usually animals used for such purposes are not very well taken care of and often abused I hope this isn't the case for Mona. Hoping someone from the island keeps good tabs on her.

• Dan A Wednesday, 07 February 2018 20:05 Comment Link

We truly will miss Mona here on the island. She always brightened everyone's day when seeing her. Good luck with your new life Mona, it won't be the same on Roche Harbor Road without you. Sad day for San Juan Island.i hope she doesn't loose to much of herself while learning these so called manners. ⯑⯑️

• Rebecca Parks Wednesday, 07 February 2018 17:57 Comment Link

“...teach her manners” is very concerning. This is an adult camel, who, through no fault of her own, has lived with humans her entire life. This is a sad day for Mona. As far as we know, she has never even seen another camel since babyhood. I live thousands of miles away, and so implore anyone who is near Tacoma to keep an eye on her in her new “well-behaved” world.

• Debbie Treise Wednesday, 07 February 2018 17:08 Comment Link

I'm sure all us Islanders are going to miss seeing Mona, visitors Too. I don't know how long they live, but hopefully her time here on the Island has been good for her. I know she always brightened my days.